Monday, September 26, 2016

Week 7 - Oildale


Hello everyone! This has been my first week as a missionary here, and a lot has happened. I got off the plane on Wednesday
after getting the chance to call mom and dad, and I saw our mission president, el presidente Layton, and he is an awesome guy.

We went to a church building where we had an orientation, and we had separate appointments with el Presidente. He asked how I was feeling, and to be entirely honest, I was super stressed. I told him that on the way over, I felt super sick to the stomach, and he comforted me really well. I came in knowing he would, but I had no idea how.

We then went to the president's home where we had pulled pork sandwiches. It was really good. I accidentally fell asleep on the president's couch, which wasn't a good idea, but he took a picture of it, and said I needed a bit of sleep. We then, after dinner, went to the mission home where I spent my first night. It was really fun to be there, and we talked and just had fun the first night.


The next day we had another orientation at the church, and we got assigned to our trainers and our areas. I am in North-West Bakersfield, opening an area! The first day, having opened an area, we had no idea what we were doing, and we just planned. The next day we went to an referral investigator, and taught him the first lesson. He speaks English, and his parents speak Spanish, so we can teach him. The Hispanic people are scattered all over the area, and are super hard to find. So, we taught him, named Brian, the first lesson, and gave him some scriptures to read.   

Anyway, we cover a few towns, and our goal is to build a Spanish branch, because right now we don't have one, and Hispanics just use headphones and a translator, so it's super hard for people to feel comfortable there, I feel. We are trying to find the less actives who left after the Spanish branch dissolved.

My companion is Elder Chamberlain, and he has been out for 20 months. He is pretty cool, and has inspiring things to say a lot. We have cars here, and I'm the driver. So, I was a goof and hit the rear-view mirror on a pole, and the mirror went flying. It's a little cracked, but we were able to put it back on and report it.

The language is difficult because the Hispanics in this area are super spread out and we can never find them.

Orchards are everywhere here. The weather is normally hot right now, having just missed the summer, and it is extremely dusty. There is almost no grass except in some yards, and it's a dessert everywhere.

I email from the church building. We live in an apartment that is not in our area, and so we go elsewhere to tract and such. I have one hour to email, and my daily schedule is waking up at 6:30, showering and eating, and then we have an hour of personal study, companionship study, and language study. We then have lunch, and leave at about noon.

Church was great, and to be honest, during sacrament meeting, I felt SO homesick. I just had a giant lump in my throat, and I missed you so much.

On Thursdays we have a volleyball game, and it's a lot of fun. I have honey bunches of oats every morning, and 2 eggs for lunch, and dinner depends every day. I get my groceries from Walmart, and our apartment is really small and simple, but nice and sufficient.

We do laundry at another Elder's apartment. His name is elder Rocha, and from what I've heard, he is an amazing missionary.

I like the small homes, and there are a lot of them. I love how much people have with so little. We've tracted a lot of homes, and not many people have listened, but we've gotten to know the members really well.  When tracting, our mission president says to do the following:

After knocking and saying who you are with a smile, you say "We've been trying to find someone who needs a message about peace, getting closer to your family, or getting closer to God, and we feel guided to be in this area. Do you know anyone who could benefit from this message? Would you benefit from it yourself?
The hardest thing is actually teaching because my companion doesn't prepare lessons, but just goes right into them from the few we've done.

I forgot my camera at the apartment this week so I'm sorry, no pictures.

It sounds like everyone is having a lot of fun. I love you guys!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracias!