Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Week 2 - Provo MTC

HOLA! Como están? I cannot believe what has been going on since I left! I am so glad that you guys have had so many miracles in the Lord. This has been a great week. So, first, from last week, I was writing in my email as I watched my laundry get done in the same room, and I saw someone take their white clothes from a dryer right next to mine, so I checked to see if he was taking my stuff on accident. He wasn't and I was a little embarrassed, so I sat back down and kept typing. Another guy came and got his whites, and I was like "That must be my clothes", but I ignored it that time and kept typing. Then, when I was finished typing, I went to my dryer and couldn't find my clothes. All of my garments and white shirts were gone.  I checked all of the dryers- and washers in case- and couldn't find my whites. I had to go to class, and the next day I went back to the laundry area again. There was a sign that said that if you lost something, go to this room on this floor of this building. I did so, and no one was in there. I came back later and found a lady who refused to look at me, and just looked at the computer the whole time. She said that the sign may say that, but it wasn't actually correct??? She then asked if I had checked the lost and found, and I already did, and she said to go check every dryer. I realized she didn't really want to help, so I left and wore the same garments for 6 days, and I had two pairs of shirts. I ordered more garments and got five more, haha. Then, last night, I found that I had 4 pairs of shirts and 3 garment pairs in my suitcase the whole time! I fear I am as the Jaredites who were cursed to lose everything they lost. So, this was a good week. On that day I was so down on myself because I lost my garments, but that day was good nonetheless.
  
That Thursday we taught Lorenzo for the last time, and we taught persevering to the end, and that baptism isn't the destination, but the path to get on. On Friday I memorized the first vision in Español, along with James 1:5.  We got another teacher that night, named Brother Peery, who did awesome. He just brought the spirit. By the way, my district composes of Elders Hanks, Perkins, Tuau, West (my companion), Stevens, Bateman, and Wallace. They are awesome!  Elder Tuau is an enormous football player, but really the humblest person. And Elder Hanks brings such profound insight to everything he says. 
  
On Saturday, our district was talking, and someone said "When we get to the judgement, God will beg for us to stay." Apparently, and this is interesting, but when the Savior suffered the Atonement, God ran to the edge of Heaven. Even when He was dying on the cross, He asked that His mother be taken care of and promised the thieves next to Him paradise, and asked that the guards killing Him be forgiven. It was always about someone else in every instance. I need to do my best to make it about the investigator every time. Only then will I be successful at all. On Sunday we talked with the district president's wife, who was so kind. She brought to mind how we were prepared before birth to be missionaries, and it made me think about all the ninja missionary stories mom always gave me when I was little. I'm now that ninja missionary. She quoted Moses 7:62, where the "righteous" means the missionaries, and the truth means the Book of Mormon. She wants us to memorize D&C 121:34-46. That night we four roommates (Elders Tuau, Stevens, West, and I) locked ourselves out of our dorm. We had to get the security down with their keys to open it.
On Monday we got a lot done and felt the spirit. I learned to spend time with those who seek the truth. I really don't think I'm a very good missionary, but I know that the Lord will somehow make a mighty tool of me. I love Ammon, when he explained how great a missionary he was, and when chastised for it, he explained it was only of God's power. Elder Hanks said the following. "Testimonies are better than explanations", "Seeking the gift of tongues is seeking the Spirit, not your own wisdom (2 Nephi 9:28-29).  "Language is not a part of our purpose, but we are called to serve in that language to people who speak it." There was a scripture scratched into one of the bathroom stalls, Jeremiah 4:19-21, and at first I thought "Oh someone has a favorite scripture", but read it and take what you will.... or don't. It's potty humor.
 
On Tuesday I memorized 1 Nephi 3:7. We got a lot done and learned a lot. We taught another "investigator" (Hermano Kinghorn), and didn't do as well. We taught real members in Spanish, and they were patient with my imperfections. During exercise time, I've been getting pretty good at 4-square. I love being here on my mission, and I am working hard to be a good missionary.I really really just want to bring the joy that I know exists. Anyway, that was my fantastic and crazy and great week! I love you, family.  I love you guys.

1 comment:

  1. Well I am glad we have these two pictures, but wish I could see more! I love that he is safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete

Gracias!