Monday, October 31, 2016

Week 12 - Oildale

Hello everyone! This has been a big week! On Monday after emailing we went to play kickball, and it was fun.
On Tuesday we went to Melva, the lady who was getting baptized on Friday, and we went over what she would be doing and how the baptism would go down. Throughout the day we tried to get to other people but they were never home. We went by a recent convert, Victor, and he didn't answer the door. We then went to this lady who lives at the very top of our area, and takes about a half hour to get there, and she works at a gas station and has the greatest faith. She asked for a ton of Spanish and English book of Mormons to give to people who come by the gas station, and she invited one of her co-workers to hear our message. She is now an investigator, and I have high hopes for her.
On Wednesday we went to the Silva family, who got baptized three weeks ago, and it turns out that he was never taught the plan of salvation, so we had to teach him that. When we finished explaining everything, he pointed at our whiteboard and said "I don't like that." We were frightened, and we asked what he didn't like, and he said "death. Why do we have to die?" That was better than what I thought would happen.
On Thursday we moved out the elders of the apartment where there was a shooting and brought the stuff to a new apartment behind ours.
On Friday we had dinner with Monica and her siblings. It was really good. After that we went to Melva's baptism, which was super great and sweet. I gave the closing prayer, and someone told me that my Spanish was fantastic. I was pretty glad to hear that. April, the recent convert who has a child and a frightening boyfriend, came over and gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. It was really cool, and she was super nervous.
On Saturday we had dinner with the Hansen family (the ward mission leader).
On Sunday Melva was confirmed and afterwards she felt so overwhelmed and sick. She was so nervous and had to go home. I hope she's okay, and we're checking by on Wednesday. We tried all of our investigators, and they weren't home. We did get someone who is a Mormon, but her family is not, so we're coming by another day to teach them.
Today for Halloween we are not allowed to do any missionary work, and after six, we are not allowed outside our apartment. We have some talks that we were asked to study, and Elder Bednar is coming on November 12th. I am excited for this.
I am doing pretty well, trying to figure out how things go. There are some missionaries who just don't like me, but neither do a lot of people we see on the streets.
If you could pray for Melva, Juan and Jorge, and the Moncera family, that would be great. The language is going pretty well but I have a hard time actually using it. We have three people in our companionship, and we have two areas to work in. We've been going all over the place, but it's been great.
The weather has been good too, and it has rained about 4 times this week! The work is going well, and we are trying to find people. The ward is also doing really well, and I can see great things to come.
Our investigators have been lazy, so this week we're planning on waking them up. Sleep has been pretty good. We go to sleep between 10:30-11:00 and wake up at 6:30.
If you could keep praying for me, to be able to speak to people's hearts, and for my area, that would be great. Thanks for everything you do for me, and for the hopes you have for us. I am super grateful to be a missionary, and I am learning a lot through my trials. Thanks for the example that you guys set for me, and I love you. 

Oh, also someone stole the GPS out of our car this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracias!